Carl Edwards – Sprint Unlimited Advance
By Official Release On Wed, Feb. 13, 2013
· Edwards in the Unlimited
· Edwards will make his seventh start in the Sprint Unlimited Saturday night. His best finish to date is seventh in 2009. He has led 54 laps in his previous six starts.
· Unlimited Undergoes Format Change
· Don’t miss your chance to decide the format of the 2013 Sprint Unlimited. Cast your vote on nascar.com until Wednesday, February 13th at 11:59 p.m. EST!
· Edwards at Daytona
· Edwards’ average start at Daytona International Speedway is 16.2; his average finish is 16.6. Edwards’ best finish at Daytona is second place, captured in 2011 500 (and in July 2008).
· Edwards/Fennig Team in 2013
· This weekend marks the beginning of the much anticipated pairing of Sprint Cup and two-time Daytona 500 Championship crew chief Jimmy Fennig and Nationwide Champion Carl Edwards.
· Fennig feels confident in the new team that comprises the No. 99 car. Fennig brings in experience with drivers such as Bobby Allison, Mark Martin and Matt Kenseth as well as a 2012 Duel and Daytona 500 Championship crew.
· The Car
· The No. 99 Fastenal crew will unload RK-835 for the Sprint Unlimited. This is a brand new car for 2013.
· Edwards, RFR Debut Gen 6 Car in Unlimited
· Fans will identify with what they see on track more than ever this year with production inspired aspects such as the grille, silhouette and headlights.
· Local Connections
· Car Chief Richie Davis, a Miami native, returns to his home state of Florida.
· Primary Sponsor Note
· Fastenal will kick off the year with primary sponsorship of both weekends in Daytona. Fastenal will run suppliers Cleveland, Loctite, PowerPhase and Holo-Krome on their Sprint Unlimited paint scheme.
Edwards quotes on the Sprint Unlimited:
“We are very excited about racing our Fastenal Ford in the Sprint Unlimited. We are going there to race as hard as we can and we want to do nothing but win that race. As a new team, it gives us time to work together and learn how we operate in that type of situation. The thing I am most nervous about is the fan vote eliminating some cars, because the way that the chaos of that event is, you could be coming down the back of the straightaway and at the end of that segment and a caution could come out and you’re one of the guys that just got shuffled back. I’m certain the fans are going to vote to eliminate some people. I think the biggest fear is that you don’t get to race the rest of the race. We are going out to lead every lap and dominate the race and win it. That is our mission.”
Fennig Quote on racing in the Sprint Unlimited and returning to Daytona with championship crew members:
“Coming out of Daytona testing we really worked hard to get more speed on the track. Carl and I are both on the same page as far as winning is concerned. Returning to Daytona with a championship crew, keeping our same players without having to replace anybody is a huge gain for us.”
2013 No. 99 Fastenal “Blue Team”
Name Duties Hometown
Darren Beach Catch Front Tire New Franklin, M.O.
Cameron Cobb Jackman Washington, I.L.
Justin Coble Spot Rear Tire Greensboro, N.C.
Richie Davis Car Chief/Grille Miami, F.L.
Greg Emmar Road Mechanic/Front Hose Allenton, W.I.
Jimmy Fennig Crew Chief Milwaukee, W.I.
Joey Fennig Windshield Harrisburg, N.C.
Jason Hedlesky Spotter Clinton, M.I.
Doug Impsen Motor Specialist/Sign Board/Spot Front Tire Pequannock, N.J.
Norm Lowe Catch Rear Tire Webster, M.A.
Zach Marquardt Road Mechanic/Tire Runner Lena, W.I.
Dave McDonald Shock Specialist/2nd Gas Man Clinton, M.I.
Ryan McCray Rear Tire Carrier Highland, C.A.
Matt Millard Truck Driver Middleton, W.I.
Jon Moore Rear Tire Changer Gainesville, G.A.
Justin Nottestad Front Tire Changer Cambridge, W.I.
Colin Pasi Front Tire Carrier Concord, N.C.
Garrett Reding Mechanic Rockton, I.L.
Greg Rimmer 2nd Truck Driver Charlotte, N.C.
Nick Sandler Engineer Ashville, N.C.
Randy Seals Engineer Ashville, N.C.
Dave Smith Mechanic Baltimore, M.D.
Don Stern Mechanic Burnt Hills, N.Y.
Scott Swift Tire Specialist Kannapolis, N.C.
Shawn Ward Gas Man Hickory, N.C.
Jim Watson Catch Gas Can/Gas Runner Greenfield, W.I.