Red Bull Racing driver Brian Vickers, announced Saturday that he been medically released to return to the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series next season. In late May, Vickers announced that he would take the rest of this season off after blood clots were discovered in his left leg and lungs. Since then a clot was discovered in a finger in his left hand.
This led to extensive tests, that determined he had a hole between the right and left atrium in his heart, as well as May-Thurner Syndrome. MTS is a rare condition in which blood clots, called deep venous thrombosis(DVT), occur in the iliofemoral vein due to compression of the blood vessels in the leg. This syndrome also puts patients at risk for future blood clots and possible strokes. Vickers, said he had heart surgery on July 12 to repair the hole in his heart. A day later, he had a stint was placed in a vein in his left leg.
Vickers said, he would be off blood thinners prescribed for the blood clots by early to mid January and ready to return to NASCAR Sprint Cup Series in time February Dayotna 500. “[Doctors] gave me full clearance for next year,” Vickers said from the media center at Bristol Motor Speedway. “I will be back in January. I’m real excited about that. They feel I’m probably in the best shape of my life.”
Red Bull recently announced that Kasey Kahne would drive one of its cars in 2011 as a stopgap before his contract with Hendrick Motorsports begins. General manager Jay Frye said at the time Kahne would drive either the 83, replace Scott Speed in the No. 82 or a third car would be added. Could Viclers quick return, potentially cause a shake-up for Red Bull Racing?