No. 56 NAPA AUTO PARTS Toyota
Bristol Motor Speedway
CORNELIUS, N.C. — Since Michael Waltrip Racing debuted a new generation of chassis six races ago, No. 56 NAPA AUTO PARTS Toyota driver Martin Truex Jr. has scored the sixth most points of any driver in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series.
The Mayetta, N.J. native is optimistic that his success will continue this weekend when the Sprint Cup Series holds its first short-track race of the season Sunday at Bristol Motor Speedway. Last season, Truex finished second at the half-mile, high-banked track in the August race just .951 seconds behind winner Brad Keselowski. In the March race, he led 63 laps.
Truex is tied for eighth in the point standings. All three MWR teams are in the top 15.
TRUEX JR. ON RACING AT BRISTOL: “I am really looking forward to this weekend especially after the strong runs we had at Bristol last year in the NAPA Toyota. In the spring race, we led 63 laps and faded in the end. But the night race, we really prepared for what we fought earlier and ended up with a second-place finish. It’s a great track especially after they redid the concrete and configuration. I feel like we can contend for the win in the NAPA Toyota on Sunday.”
OPTIMISM CONTINUES: “I really think we are close to getting our first win. Our car has had speed in every race so far. That’s the hardest thing to find and we have had it the last 10 races. If we can continue to run fast each week, one of these days it is going to work out for us. It also helps that all three of our MWR cars this season have been competitive every week. Our season is off to a very encouraging start. I see some areas of improvement that are still needed, but all in all, everyone at MWR is working hard and together to keep the strong momentum going. This sport is so difficult and it’s nice to go to the race track right now. We’ve had a lot of good conversations with all of our drivers, crew chiefs and teams. It’s just been fun to run like this and see the enthusiasm of all the guys in the shop. Things are really looking up for MWR and it’s very important for us to keep our eyes on the areas where we still need to get better. If we keep all of it in sight, a win should come very soon.”
ADDITIONAL NOTES OF INTEREST
· SPECIAL REMAINS: NAPA Filters is saluting race fans this month with its March NAPA AUTO PARTS Store promotion. A $19.99 oil change special is only $12.99 after a mail-in $7 rebate. It’s a deal you shouldn’t miss and includes a Silver NAPA Filters oil filter and five quarts of Valvoline conventional oil.
· NAPA HONORS: NAPA Racing will host Honorary Pit Crew Member Jamie Phibbs. He helps run his father’s NAPA AutoCare Center, Jim Phibbs Auto Service, in Knoxville, Tenn. He will be honored in NAPA pre-race festivities and have his name decaled on the No. 56 Toyota.
· RIDE WITH MARTIN: Two lucky race fans can win a thrilling ride around Charlotte Motor Speedway with Truex in his No. 56 Toyota Camry. Bids are being accepted now through March 25. For more information, visit: www.martintruexjrfoundation.org.
· PINTEREST: MWR now has a home on the Pinterest social bulletin board where you can view the latest videos and photos: pinterest.com/michaelwaltrip.
· CHECK THIS OUT: Visit NAPA Reserve Online at napaonline.com to make shopping for an auto part easier. Order online and pick up at your favorite NAPA AUTO PARTS store.