· NO CHASE, SO TIME TO THROW CAUTION TO THE WIND: After last weekend’s 30th-place finish at Richmond International Raceway, Joey Logano and the No. 20 Dollar General team had to come to grips of not making the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series post-season championship chase. With Kyle Busch also failing to make the Chase as well, both teams will now do everything they can to win as many races as possible over the next 10 weeks as well as cheer on Joe Gibbs Racing teammate Denny Hamlin as he goes after the 2012 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Championship.
· IT’S A DOLLAR GENERAL KIND OF WEEKEND: In 2011, music artist Wiz Khalifa came out with the radio hit “Black and Yellow.” That song, which hit number one on the Billboard Music Charts, could be the theme song to Logano’s Chicagoland Speedway weekend. Logano will be behind the wheel of not just one but two Dollar General Toyotas. Logano will pilot the No. 20 Dollar General Toyota in Sunday’s NASCAR Sprint Cup Series event at the 1.5-mile track. He will also once again be behind the wheel of the No. 18 Dollar General Toyota in the NASCAR Nationwide Series event at Chicagoland on Saturday. Even adding to the “Black and Yellow” themed weekend, Saturday’s NASCAR Nationwide Series event is the Dollar General 300 powered by Coca-Cola. That will be a whole lot of “Black and Yellow.”
· STILL LOOKING FOR THAT BREAKTHROUGH IN WINDY CITY: Logano has experienced his fair share of ups and downs at Chicagoland Speedway over the years. However, the final results show something very different. In his three-career NASCAR Sprint Cup Series races at Chicagoland, Logano has logged finishes of 18th, 19th and 16th. His best-career qualifying effort came last season, when Logano started 10th. On the Nationwide Series side, Logano has had some success at Chicago, winning the race in 2010 and finishing second at the track in 2011.
· LOGANO AND OTHER DG DRIVERS TEE UP FOR DG LITERACY FOUNDATION: Joey joined his Dollar General Racing teammates Brian Scott and Darrell Wallace Jr. on Monday to participate in the 20th annual Dollar General Literacy Foundation Golf Classic in Nashville, Tennessee. Since its inception in 1993, the Dollar General Literacy Foundation Golf Classic has raised over $13 million in support of literacy initiatives throughout Dollar General’s operating market.
· WEEKEND APPEARANCES: Joey will make two public appearances on Sunday at Chicagoland Speedway. Logano will make an appearance at the Toyota Drive Center, which is located in the vendor midway, at 9:10am. Logano will then make an appearance at his merchandise hauler at 9:45am. For more information on Joey’s public appearances, please visit his website at www.joeylogano.com.
· THIS WEEK ON THE NO. 20 DOLLAR GENERAL TOYOTA: Dollar General vendor partners Powerade, Band-Aid, First Quality, Gillette Fusion, Brawny, Xtra, Glad and Fruit Loops will be featured on Joe Gibbs racing’s No. 20 Toyota Camry this weekend at Chicagoland Speedway.
· THE RACE: The Geico 400 at Chicagoland Speedway (Joliet, IL; 1.5 -mile oval) is set for Sunday, September 16th. Watch and listen live on ESPN, Sirius XM Channel 90 and MRN Radio starting at 1:00 p.m. ET.
Logano’s 2012 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Season Stats:
Logano’s Career NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Stats:
Logano’s Career NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Stats Chicagoland Speedway:
From the Cockpit:
Joey Logano Quotes: “I’m really disappointed that we didn’t make the Chase this season. That was our goal from the beginning, but we just ran into a bit of bad luck and had some bad runs in the middle of the season that just hurt us in points. At least we went into last weekend with a shot and that is always good. But just because we didn’t make the Chase doesn’t mean our season is over. We can now go out there and not worry about racing for points and just do our best to win a couple of these final races. We owe that to all our sponsors like Dollar General and to all of the guys that work at the shop and I owe it to all of the guys that travel each and every weekend. There would be nothing better than to get another win or two under our belts before the end of the year.
“I’m excited about Chicagoland. I think our 1.5-mile program has really gotten better this year and Jason (Ratcliff, crew chief) and I are working better and better each and every week. Plus, the more we go back to these tracks the better we have notes to start with right from the beginning which makes us pretty fast right out of the box. That is all you can ask for. Plus, being back in the Nationwide Series event this weekend will be a big help because I like the extra track time. There is always something you can learn from Saturday and apply it to Sunday. So we will just go out there and try to do what we try to do every weekend, which is just win.”
No. 20 Dollar General Toyota / Joe Gibbs Racing Team:
Driver – Joey Logano Crew Chief – Jason Ratcliff Car Chief – Jason Shapiro Race Engineer – Jacob Canter Engineer – Mike Lorusso Spotter – Rocky Ryan
Shock Specialist – Dusty Boyd Mechanic – Scott Geerts Mechanic – Todd Foster Mechanic – Leo Thorsen Tire Specialist – Jerold Shires Engine Tuner – Mike Johnson
Tires – Bill Byrne Truck Driver – Thomas “Thumper” McCrimmon Truck Driver – Scott “Scooter” Crowell
Jackman – Jason Tate Gasman – John Eicher Front Tire Changer – John Royer Front Tire Carrier – Joe Crossen
Rear Tire Changer – Chris Taylor Rear Tire Carrier – Eric Groen
About Dollar General:
Dollar General Corporation has been delivering value to shoppers for more than 70 years. Dollar General helps shoppers Save time. Save money. Every day!® by offering products that are frequently used and replenished, such as food, snacks, health and beauty aids, cleaning supplies, basic apparel, house wares and seasonal items at low everyday prices in convenient neighborhood locations.
Dollar General is committed to the communities it serves and is proud to support initiatives that help others improve their lives through literacy and education. The Dollar General Literacy Foundation awards grants to nonprofit organizations that help individuals learn to read, prepare for their GED or learn to speak English.
Find the Dollar General store nearest you or learn more about the company at www.dollargeneral.com or on Dollar General’s Facebook page.
DG at the Track:
Dollar General has more retail locations than any retailer in America, with 10,000 stores in 39 states. There are numerous locations in the Joliet, Illinois area. Here are the three nearest to Chicagoland Speedway:
Dollar General #11508 Dollar General #7222 Dollar General #10872
916 W Jefferson St. 2101 Plainfield Rd. 518 W Mondamin St.
Joliet, IL 60435 Crest Hill, IL 60403 Minooka, IL 60447