September 10, 2015 – On September 11th, 2001, America was shaken by an act of terrorism that would forever mark the date on the façade of America’s history. Yet through those tragic events was a remarkable display of courage and patriotism by our country’s servicemen and women.
Richmond International Raceway and Virginia529 are proud to partner with several groups to recognize the acts of heroism displayed by first responders, military members and United States citizens on that fateful day:
- Virginia State Troopers Mike Middleton and Myrln Wimbish, two of the first responders to the attack on The Pentagon, will serve as co-Grand Marshals for the Virginia529 College Savings 250.
- Members of the Arlington County Police and Fire, Henrico Country Police and Fire, Hanover Police, Richmond Police and Virginia State Police will be in the RIR Infield during Friday night’s pre-race ceremonies, proudly waving an American flag above the grass.
- Colonel Claude Crisp, chaplain at the Ft. Lee Noncommissioned Officers Academy, will be give invocation before the Friday night event. Colonel Crisp was serving at Arlington National Cemetery at the time of the attacks, and conducted the first funeral for a soldier killed at the Pentagon on September 11th.
- The official 9/11 Tribute Truck from the Michael Lynch Memorial Foundation will be stationed in the RIR Midway adjacent to a 45 foot hook and ladder truck. Fans are encouraged to sign a memorial banner hanging from the side of the truck that will be presented to the Arlington County service members joining us this weekend.
- The Bandit Flight Team will conduct a four-plane flyover following the National Anthem.
We invite our guests to join us in recognizing these individuals and others on Friday night.