Two Wins In First Four Canadian Tire Series Starts
TROIS-RIVIERES, Que. (Aug. 2, 2015) – The latest in a long line of Quebec road course aces has arrived in Kevin Lacroix, and his ascension has come faster than all of those before him.
Lacroix muscled his way past Andrew Ranger – one of the most successful of those road race experts – on the final lap Sunday to take the JuliaWine.com Le 50 Tours checkered flag at Circuit de Trois-Rivieres.
It was just the fourth start for the 26-year-old rookie, who became the fastest driver in the series’ nine-year history to record two wins. The Saint-Eustache, Quebec, native was victorious in his second appearance on July 5 at Circuit ICAR after six years away from the sport.
Lacroix, who started on the front row alongside Ranger, took the lead on Lap 5 and held it until Ranger regained the top spot on a caution restart on Lap 43. Ranger, of Roxton Pond, Quebec, looked strong for a fifth victory in the Grand Prix de Trois-Rivieres but Lacroix nudged him out of the lead on the final lap and held on for the win in a near photo finish by a margin of 0.048 seconds.
Following Ranger across the finish line at the famed 1.53-mile temporary street course was Alex Tagliani, Alex Labbe and L.P. Dumoulin. The remainder of the top 10 included Marc-Antoine Camirand, D.J. Kennington, Jason Hathaway, season points leader Scott Steckly and Simon Dion-Viens.
Each of the top six finishers, and seven of the top 10, were Quebec natives.
Prior to Sunday, the mark for the driver fastest to two victories was held by J.R. Fitzpatrick, who won the fourth and fifth races in series history during the inaugural 2007 season.
With three races remaining on the 2015 schedule, Steckly leads Ranger by six points with Hathaway 10 back and defending titlist Dumoulin 18 out.
The JuliaWine.com Le 50 Tours aired live on Sunday on RDS, and will premiere on TSN Aug. 15 at 1:30 p.m. ET.
The Canadian Tire Series will return to action on Aug. 15 at Riverside International Speedway in Antigonish, Nova Scotia.
NASCAR Canadian Tire Series pres. by Mobil 1-JuliaWine.com Le 50 Tours Results
At Circuit de Trois-Rivieres
Lap length: 1.53 miles
(Start position in parentheses)
- (2) Kevin Lacroix, Saint-Eustache, Que., Dodge, 50 laps, 57.137 mph.
- (1) Andrew Ranger, Roxton Pond, Que., Dodge, 50.
- (3) Alex Tagliani, Lachenaie, Que., Chevrolet, 50.
- (6) Alex Labbe, Victoriaville, Que., Dodge, 50.
- (5) L.P. Dumoulin, Trois-Rivieres, Que., Dodge, 50.
- (4) Marc-Antoine Camirand, Saint-Leonard-d’Aston, Que., Chevrolet, 50.
- (12) D.J. Kennington, St. Thomas, Ont., Dodge, 50.
- (13) Jason Hathaway, St. Thomas, Ont., Chevrolet, 50.
- (8) Scott Steckly, Milverton, Ont., Dodge, 50.
- (9) Simon Dion-Viens, Saint-Joseph-de-Kamouraska, Que., Dodge, 50.
- (11) Matthew Scannell, Rockwood, Ont., Dodge, 50.
- (25) Dave Coursol, Saint-Jerome, Que., Dodge, 50.
- (21) Jocelyn Fecteau, Montreal, Que., Dodge, 48.
- (24) Charles Harvey, Terrebonne, Que., Dodge, 47.
- (16) Cayden Lapcevich, Grimsby, Ont., Dodge, 45.
- (14) Kerry Micks, Mount Albert, Ont., Ford, 42.
- (18) Joey McColm, Ajax, Ont., Ford, 38, accident.
- (15) Carlos de Quesada, Gainesville, Fla., Dodge, 38, accident.
- (22) Paul Jean, St-Eustache, Que., Chevrolet, 36.
- (17) Patrice Brisebois, Westmount, Que., Dodge, 30, oil leak.
- (10) J.F. Dumoulin, Trois-Rivieres, Que., Dodge, 22, suspension.
- (7) Gary Klutt, Halton Hills, Ont., Chevrolet, 14.
- (19) Kevin Poitras, Newcastle, Ont., Ford, 6, accident.
- (23) Ryan Klutt, Halton Hills, Ont., Chevrolet, 5, rear axle.
- (20) Ray Courtemanche Jr., Montreal, Que., Dodge, 0, did not start.
Time of Race: 1 hour 20 minutes 20 seconds
Margin of Victory: .048 seconds
Fastest Qualifier: A.Ranger (82.226 mph, 1:06.989 seconds)
Caution Flags: 4 for 14 laps.
Lead Changes: 3 among 2 drivers.
Lap Leaders: A. Ranger 1-5; K. Lacroix 6-42; A. Ranger 43-49; K. Lacroix 50.
Standings: 1. S. Steckly, 318; 2. A. Ranger, 312; 3. J. Hathaway, 308; 4. L. Dumoulin, 300; 5. D. Kennington, 290; 6. M. Camirand, 284; 7. A. Tagliani, 282; 8. G. Klutt, 281; 9. J. Dumoulin, 268; 10. M. Scannell, 249.